What can I do to lower my energy bills?
Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems are a significant contributor to the energy bills of homes and businesses. Fortunately, there are several ways both you and an HVAC company can work together to lower your energy bills.
- Regular maintenance: Regular maintenance of your HVAC system by a professional HVAC company can help improve its energy efficiency. During maintenance, an HVAC technician will clean and tune up the system, replace any worn-out parts, and ensure that it is working at optimal performance.
- Upgrade to an energy-efficient HVAC system: If your HVAC system is more than ten years old, it may be time to consider upgrading to a more energy-efficient model. Newer HVAC systems are designed to use less energy while providing better performance, which can significantly lower your energy bills.
- Use a programmable thermostat: Installing a programmable thermostat can help lower your energy bills by automatically adjusting the temperature based on your schedule. You can program it to turn down the heat or air conditioning during the day when you are not at home, and then turn it back up before you return.
- Seal air leaks: Air leaks around windows, doors, and other openings can allow hot or cold air to escape, making your HVAC system work harder than it needs to. An HVAC company can help identify and seal these leaks, which can significantly reduce your energy bills.
- Improve insulation: Insufficient insulation can cause significant energy losses, especially in older homes. An HVAC company can assess your home’s insulation and recommend ways to improve it, such as adding more insulation or replacing old insulation.
- Use natural ventilation: When the weather is mild, consider using natural ventilation instead of relying on your HVAC system. Open windows and doors to let fresh air in, and use ceiling fans to circulate the air.
By working with an HVAC company like SMS in Decatur, AL, and implementing these energy-saving strategies, you can significantly reduce your energy bills while still keeping your home or business comfortable.